Reporting Changes

New Address, Phone Number, Change in Income or Change in Family Size 

If you move or change your phone number, you must let the Division of Family Resources (DFR) know. You can do this online here. Log in to the system to make your change. If you don't have a login, click on the blue "sign up for a new account" button. You can also call 1-800-403-0864 to make the change.

Other Insurance Plans 

If you have other health insurance, please call 1-800-403-0864 to report this.

You must let the Division of Family Resources (DFR) know if you:
  • Have a new address.
  • Change your phone number.
  • Have a change in your income.
  • Have a change in your family size.

Go to your FSSA Benefits Portal. Once you log in, you can report a change. You can also contact your local DFR office. Go to to find the closet DFR office near you. You can also call MDwise customer service. We can help. 

Please also call MDwise as soon as you know your new address or phone number. This helps us to tell you about special programs and important health care information.

Open Enrollment Period

Hoosier Healthwise members remain enrolled in their chosen health plan for a one-year period. You are in the MDwise health plan. New members get 90 days to decide if they want to stay in the MDwise plan. Once each year after that you will have an open enrollment period. During this time you will have another chance to choose a new health plan. Once the open enrollment period ends, you will stay enrolled in your chosen health plan for the rest of the 12 month period unless you lose your Hoosier Healthwise eligibility. You can still change your health plan doctor at any time. To change your doctor, please call MDwise customer service.

Other Insurance Plans

If you or your child has other health insurance, you must let us know. You can call MDwise or your care manager. You must also tell us (or your care manager) if: 
  • You have changes in your insurance.
  • You get hurt in a car wreck.
  • You get hurt at work.
  • You get hurt and someone else may have to pay.

The other insurance plans are supposed to help pay for your care. By letting us know about them, you can help make sure they do. Telling us about your other insurance will not reduce your MDwise benefits.

If you are involved in an accident, subrogation communication should be sent to:

Discovery Health Partners (DHP)
Phone: 866-223-9974
Fax: 866-297-3112
Address: Two Pierce Place, Suite 1900, Itasca, IL 60143