What should I do if I think my child has ADHD?

Talk with your child's doctor.
Your doctor will ask you questions and may want to get information from your child's teachers or anyone else who is familiar with your child's behavior.
Your doctor may have forms or checklists that you and your child's teacher can fill out. This will help you and your doctor compare your child's behavior with other children's behavior.
Your doctor will probably want to test your child’s vision and hearing if these tests haven't been done recently. Your doctor may recommend trying medicine to see if it helps control your child's hyperactive behavior.

A trial of medicine alone cannot be the basis for diagnosing ADHD. However, it can be an important part of evaluating your child if ADHD is suspected. Meeting with a mental health therapist can help you and your child find ways to cope with the symptoms of ADHD.
It might be hard for your doctor to tell if your child has ADHD.

Many children who have ADHD aren't hyperactive in the doctor's office. Your doctor may want your child to see someone who specializes in helping children who have behavior problems, such as a psychologist.

A diagnosis of ADHD can be made only by getting information about your child's behavior from several people who know your child. There are many resources available to help you and your child. The next page lists several.

Reviewed 8/11/2021